FROM JOHN STUDDARD, MD, FCCP
CHEST President, 2017-2018
Wow, what an incredible year this has been! Serving as CHEST President from the end of CHEST 2017 until the CHEST Annual Meeting in San Antonio—in early October 2018–means I’ve served one of the shortest presidencies in CHEST history. I must say, however, that it has been a phenomenal year for me personally, highlighted not only by the accomplishments outlined below but by the opportunity to meet so many new people and to grow existing relationships both for myself and for CHEST. I am so proud and excited by the meaningful work being done by our volunteers, staff, and leadership. Thank you for the incredibly humbling opportunity to work with you and to serve CHEST this year. Read more
In 2017, the American College of Chest Physicians (CHEST) received Accreditation with Commendation from the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) for the second time. This achievement, which was originally awarded to CHEST in 2012 and renewed this year, grants CHEST accreditation through November 2023 and places the organization in the highest tier of all continuing medical education (CME) providers, including some of the nation’s most prestigious medical schools and professional medical societies. Read more
PUBLICATIONS AND GUIDELINES
The journal CHEST® achieved a 2-year Impact Factor of 7.652, the highest in its history, which equates to a 24% increase over last year’s score.
In addition, our 5-year Impact Factor is 7.854, a 7% increase over last year. With respect to the 2-year factor, CHEST is ranked 4th out of 33 journals in the Critical Care category and 7th out of 59 journals in the Respiratory System category.
- Screening for Lung Cancer: CHEST Guideline and Expert Panel Report
- Treating Cough Due to Non-CF and CF Bronchiectasis With Nonpharmacological Airway Clearance (Published: April 2018)
- Cough Due to TB and Other Chronic Infections: CHEST Guideline and Expert Panel Report (Published: February 2018)
- Classification of Cough as a Symptom in Adults and Cough Management Algorithms: CHEST Guideline and Expert Panel Report (Published: January 2018)
- Pharmacological and Non-Pharmacological Treatment for Acute Cough Associated with the Common Cold: CHEST Expert Panel Report (Published: November 2017)
- Cough in Ambulatory Immunocompromised Adults: CHEST Expert Panel Report (Published: November 2017)
- Etiologies of Chronic Cough in Pediatric Cohorts: CHEST Guideline and Expert Panel Report (Published: September 2017)
In March 2018, CHEST held their first Twitter Chat for CME on sepsis. This chat had 3.589 million impressions, and 13 participants purchased CME after participating.
In April, CHEST hosted a Google Hangout on Early Career Development featuring Drs. Josh Smith, May Lee, Mauricio Danckers, and John Studdard. There were over 150 views and many questions during the chat. CHEST’s next Google Hangout in August, focusing on how to prepare for fellowship interviews, had over 300 views.
The CHEST Foundation enhanced their Disease Awareness Campaigns, including news tools, infographics, microsites, and dissemination partners. The foundation’s partnerships continue to grow with partners including the Asthma Allergy Network, phaware, COPD Foundation, Team Jeffery for PF, Bonnie J. Addario Lung Cancer Foundation, Lungevity, RHA, and The Feldman Family Foundation.
March 2018 Poker Night
The 5th Annual Irv Feldman Poker Tournament was the foundation’s largest attended poker event yet, with over 475 guests. The CHEST Foundation raised over $190,000 and the successes of this event would not be possible without their amazing partner, The Feldman Family Foundation.
Copyright 2019 © American College of Chest Physicians®